Acid glands & secretions
Here is a list of research papers dealing with acid glands and secretions in sea slugs. Most refer to the notaspidean pleurobranchs. I would appreciate being told of any other relevant publications to add to the list.
Return to Defensive Glands
• Thompson,T.E. (1960) Defensive acid secretion in marine gastropods. Journal of the Marine Biological Association, United Kingdom, 39: 115-122.
• Thompson, T.E. (1960) Defensive acid-secretion in marine slugs and snails. New Scientist, 8: 414-416.
• Thompson, T.E. (1983) Detection of epithelial acid secretions in marine molluscs: review of techniques and new analytical methods. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 74A(3): 615-621.
• Thompson, T.E., Colman, J.G (1984) Histology of acid glands in Pleurobranchomorpha. J. Moll. Stud. 50: 65-67.
• Thompson, T.E. (1984) Histology of acid glands in Pleurobranchomorpha. J. Moll. Stud. 50: 66-67.
• Thompson, T.E. & Gathercole, L.J. (1986) Histophysical demonstration of barium sulphate in acidic epithelium of molluscs and other organisms following irrigation in vivo with aqueous barium chloride. J. Moll. Stud. 52: 261-262.
• Thompson, T.E. (1988) Acidic allomones in marine organisms. Journal of the Marine Biological Association, United Kingdom, 68: 499-517.
• Gillette, R., Saeki, M. & Huang, R-C (1991) Defense mechanisms on notaspid snails: Acid humor and evasiveness. J. Exp. Biol. 156: 335-347.
Rudman, W.B., 2000 (May 1) Acid glands & secretions. [In] Sea Slug Forum. Australian Museum, Sydney. Available from http://www.seaslugforum.net/factsheet/acid